In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Relative of the Day - Mary Ann Oates Whitacre

Mary Ann Oates is the sister of my 3rd great-grandmother Mahala Oates. This makes her my 4th great-aunt. She was the 11th child of 14 children born to Daniel Oates and Mary Noel. She was born Sep 8, 1830 in Hampshire County, Virginia (this is now in West Virginia but West Virginia would not exist for more than 30 years at this point). She gets to be relative of the day because she was married Apr 9, 1855 - also in Hampshire County. She married Enoch Whitacre. I don't really know much about him and would like to know more about her. I haven't done any Oates research for a while, though.

To put things in perspective a bit, she was MARRIED 5 years before yesterday's relative of the day was even born. She was from the same generation or time period as Aljourn Davidson's parents, only 2 years younger than his mother Mary Catherine Clark.  She was married 159 years ago today and was born 184 years ago.

There were 31 states in our country when she was married, the first bridge across the Mississippi was opened for crossing, my alma mater Penn State had just been founded, 

No comments:

Post a Comment