In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

New Feature!! Name Question of the Day

Rosa virginiana
It may not run every day, but I am curious what you think about things besides just these interesting and unusual names I've come across.

So today's name question is a result of a trip to the hair salon. I thumbed through a rose catalog while I was having my hair colored and was thinking, what if you gave your daughter the scientific name of a rose? (or other flower/plant, etc) What do you think of that idea?

     
Rosa arkansana






I happened on it when I saw 'rosa virginiana' and thought of my mom and just what that means to be a wild rose and especially the wild Virginia rose and it seemed like a nice way to honor her if I had a daughter. Rosa Virginiana. But I wondered if people would think a name like that was cool in the way that it was unique. And more so, what would my child think of having a name like that? Wild roses are my favorite kind and the rosa virginiana is a perfect example of the type of wild rose I like best.

Rosa bridgesii
There is the rosa arkansana or wild prairie rose that you could use as a name, if you want to honor your Midwestern roots, or if you don't want to name your child Prairie Rose (which I think is pretty, but it might be a bit harder in middle school to be known by Prairie or Prairie Rose than to be called Rosa).


Rosa carolina or Carolina Rose
The rosa bridgesii is a native California rose, also called the Sierra ground rose as it grows in the Sierra Nevadas and close to the ground.Would Rosa Bridgesii be a good name for a child? It seems better than Sierra ground rose. Though I suppose you could use Sierra Rose, but saying those r's so close together doesn't sound great to me.
Rosa canina or Dogrose

Some rose names already work as a girl's name, like Rosa carolina, or even just Carolina Rose. And some, no matter how pretty the rose, just do NOT work as a child's name, like Rosa canina - the dogrose.



Rosa chinensis or China Rose
Rosa damascena or Rose of Castile
Rosa phoenicia
Sweetbriar
Rosa woodsii or Mountain Rose
I thought Rosa alexandrae would work as a name. China rose probably works better than Rosa chinensis. Rosa coryana, Rosa damascena (the Damask Rose or Rose of Castile - one of the reasons I fell in love with the idea of Damascus as a girl's name. But what about just Damask Rose or Rose of Castile, or maybe Rosa castellana), Rosa xanthina (I don't like the similar sounds with the s - which some people say more like a z, and the x in xanthina which definitely sounds like a z - but xanthina is so pretty it might be worth it), Rosa gentiliana, Rosa giraldi, Rosa rubrifolia (for how fun it is to say! sometimes similar sounds aren't a bad thing), Rosa helenae, Rosa laevigata ( I also like Cherokee Rose or Camellia Rose-this one works especially well as a name, I think), Rosa luciae, Rosa lutea, Rosa persica (maybe one of my favorites to use as a child's name), Rosa phoenicia, Rosa villosa (does the rhyming bother you too much?), Rosa primula, Rosa seraphinii, Rosa sericea, Sweetbriar (it's not the scientific name but it definitely sounds like a plant name and not a person's name. Does it work? to me it's refreshing. Maybe you could just as well do Briar Rose or Rose Briar), or what about Evergreen Rose or Mountain Rose? I remember driving past a town called Mountain Laurel in Pennsylvania and thinking that would be a nice thing to name a girl

No comments:

Post a Comment