In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Wednesday's Names

GIRLS

Williadine - No greater luck determining how this name came to be than for Willowdean.


Xanthe- Greek, meaning "blond-haired".

I also came across a poet who has published some of her work on the web, going by Xanthe (not blond haired, though, from what I can see, but hopefully a lover of Ancient Greece!) Here is a link to one of her poems. I liked how vulnerable she was willing to be in her poem and the simplicity of it. It seems like maybe writing this was therapeutic and what I call "soul-building". When I read some of my earliest poems I find that in them sometimes. You know, when you don't want to hide the meaning or intent of your poem behind artifice.

Queen Boudicca - one example of "fierce" "glory" of the "noble kind"
Yarisleidy- I know that this name is given to Spanish-speakers. Beyond that, I don't know anything 'certain' about its origin or meaning. However, some possibilities exist. Might it be a form of the Slavic name Yaroslava? This can  also be spelled Jaroslava. Eleydi is another name I've come across on Spanish-speaking girls, which is an old name. It can also be written Aleydis. Could Yarisleidy be a compound name, like many Spanish-speaking names (Adamaris, for instance), combing Jaroslava and Aleydis?  Jarosleydis or perhaps written Yarosleydis, with the s eventually dropped and amending the spelling a bit? If so, Yaroslava means "fierce glory" as it is derived from the Slavic roots 'jary' meaning "fierce" or "strong" and 'slawa' meaning "glory". Aleydis is a form of Adelaide, which is a German name meaning "noble type" or "noble sort" or "noble kind", coming from the roots 'adal' meaning "noble" and 'heid' meaning "kind, sort, type". The meaning you might get for a compound name derived from Yaroslava and Aleydis, then, would be "fierce glory of the noble kind". Gotta say that I love that.


BOYS

Zabry - possibly comes from the Czech Zábřeh, which is the name of a town in the Czech Republic - it is in the Sudentenland, which was 'annexed' by Hitler to Germany in 1938. It is derived from “zá” meaning "behind" and "břeh" meaning "riverbank". This refers to the  Moravská Sázava river.  Zábřežská vrchovina refers to the part of the town located on a hillside, with Zábřežská vrchovina meaning Zábřeh highlands. So, it seems to me, Zábřežská would make a nice feminine version of this name. Though I have NO idea how to say that!


Abimael - Hebrew, meaning "my father is God".

Burnell - English, meaning "little brown-haired one".







Cristóforo- Spanish form of Christopher. Pronounced "cree STOW foe row" be sure to roll the r in the last syllable.

No comments:

Post a Comment