In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Is this Samuel Lockhart a relative?

That's what I'm trying to determine. This Samuel Lockhart who was in Augusta County, Virginia in the 1740s, is he in any way related to my 5th great grandfather Major Robert Lockhart who lived in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and later Frederick County, Virginia (owning a tavern in Timber Ridge and a farm in Round Hill, in Loudoun County, Virginia as well as land in Adams County, Ohio)? That is what I have yet to figure out.






Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish settlement in Virginia: extracted ..., Volume 3 By Augusta County (Va.), Lyman Chalkley

page 441, 497

I think it's interesting to notice how place names were spelt back then. Shanandore and Shanando are closer to how my mother pronounces Shenandoah than that spelling would suggest. I say "shehn ahn doe uh" just like someone not from the area, saying the word based on the letters I see. My mother says "Shanandore" or "Shanando", absolutely, 40+ years in Utah wearing her Virginia accent down will not erase certain things. Thank God. I will be glad if in 30 years someone can detect I am from Southern Utah by the way I say Escalante, Salina, Levan, and creek. The beautiful thing for how Shenandoah is perhaps supposed to be pronounced is that it is probably closer to the original Shawnee way than my modern interpretation. That, of course, is all beside the point of whether or not Samuel Lockhart is my relative or no.

No comments:

Post a Comment