In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Names - Margaret

Saint Margaret and the Dragon

Since I am obsessed with names, I thought it would be fun to do a post on some I love. I've really been fascinated with all the Margaret names. Margaret comes from Greek and means 'pearl'. It comes from the Greek 'margaron' for 'pearl'.

Margaret
Margarita
Marguerite
Margot
Margery
Margareta
Margarette
Megan
Margriet
Margrieta
Marietta
Merete

A fun nickname for Margaret is Maisie. Other nicknames are Maggie, Margie or Marge, Madge, Midge, Mags, Meg, Peggy, Peg, Greta, Gretchen, Gretel, Grieta, Mamie, Metta, Mari, Mai or May, Daisy, and Rita.

There are of course many more versions of Margaret, more nicknames, and quite a few other spellings of all the above, but these are the ones I wanted to share with you. Lately my favorite has been Margot, but Marguerite is quickly rising in my esteem. I've also been enchanted with Margery a lot lately. Margaret feels a bit boring next to some of the variants and nicknames. But it is still a very classic name and has a certain respectability and old-fashioned beauty about it.

Suggested first name/middle name combinations for Margaret or her variants

Margaret Alice 
Margaret Sarah
Elisa Margaret
Fiona Margaret

Marguerite Ailsa
Ava Marguerite

Margot Esmeralda
Calantha Margot

Margery Winona
Margery Esther
Ella Margery

2 comments:

  1. I think Margaret is a nice name, though something seems to be missing - making it not quite complete for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for me there are about 3 really great things about Margaret that a lot of other names lack: the most awesome saint story there is, Saint Margaret, real or not, is incredible, the meaning is very nice, and it has lots of great nicknames. Oh, add that it comes from greek (subtract that the word it comes from sounds like margarine, or maybe margarine with a soft g) and in writing the name a cursive M is fun as well as the letter g.

    ReplyDelete