In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ancestor of the Day

Reminiscent of my old "Coldplay Song of the Day" posts, this new feature on my blog will highlight one of my ancestors. It's a great way for you to get to know too much about my history (and possibly yours) but in an enjoyable way, not a tmi sort of way.

Today's Ancestor: Catherine Wingerter, my 4th great grandmother on my mother's mother's mother's side.

Wingerter was Catherine's married name and since she immigrated to the US from Bavaria, her name was probably originally Catharina and not Catherine. In Bavaria she left her deceased husband Peter Wingerter. She crossed the ocean on a sailboat and the trip took 40 weeks, according to her great-granddaughter Ada May Wingerter Jenkins. She came here with her 2 children: John and Mary A. Wingerter. They came to this country so that John (originally Johannes) could escape serving the mandatory time in the military. They arrived in the 1830s (loss of my genealogy files to a computer virus means that I don't have this at my fingertips this minute) and Catherine is listed on the 1850 census with her son John, his wife Barbara Dellit, and their infant son David. However, I have not found any information on what happened to Catherine after this. Whether or not she died before John and Barbara moved west to Ohio or sometime after that or if she remarried, I do not know. I don't know her parents' names or her own maiden name, the town she was born in or the date of her marriage. There's a lot I don't know about her, I suppose. But hopefully now you feel that you know more than you knew before reading this post. I think Catherine would love for you to get to know her more. If you do, please send along the information to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment