In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Friday, May 8, 2015

Celebration and Ecstasy! The 2014 Top Baby Names Are Here!

The Social Security Administration released today, in honor of Mother's Day, the top names given to babies in 2014. You can view the whole list by clicking here. We will examine the list in a series of posts over the next year. Let's begin with the exciting, and, in my book, best news.

Emma is the new #1 girl's name. I predicted Emma would overtake Sophia last year, but I was off by a year. Sophia dropped to number #3. The top 5 girl names (the royalty, so to speak) are:

Emma
Olivia
Sophia
Isabella
Ava

I had also been thinking that Olivia was a firm favorite and despite its widespread use over more than a decade that it would hold its own. I did think Isabella would drop more, so it surprised me that she didn't.

The boy's list didn't change much at all.

Noah
Liam
Mason
Jacob
William

Is it just me or could the next battle for #1 be between Mason and William? I predict next year Mason will rise even more as will William. But I can't decide whether or not to go so far as to say that Noah will be unseated (unseeded??) from his throne by one of the two. I don't see Liam as making it to #1, at least at this point. Noah could stay on top for a while.

The bottom half of the top 10 baby names didn't change much on the girl's side. Elizabeth was lost (boo!) but Charlotte took her place. With the new princess named Charlotte Elizabeth Diana, I predict that next year Charlotte will rise even more (and Elizabeth might return to the top 10). Though, I think she would have regardless. But the best news of all I've saved for last. James is back in the top ten!!! Look folks, of childbearing age, the power lies in your hands. YOU could make the best name in the world a top 5 name. Nay, a # 1 name!!

I'm very happy with the boy's top ten, especially as the trade was an improvement - Jayden dropped back out. I can't decide if that will stick though. It is an overexposed name, but may be a new classic, so it might not drop much more than it has. It will be interesting to see. Here are the top ten names for boys and girls

Noah, Liam, Mason, Jacob, William, Ethan, Michael, Alexander, James, Daniel
Emma, Olivia, Sophia, Isabella, Ava, Mia, Emily, Abigail, Madison, Charlotte

Amazing how Madison is holding her own. I thought she was done in the top 10. I'm also surprised Emily and Abigail didn't drop more. Nice to see Daniel rounding off the bottom of the top 10. It's a solid name. And with my recent fascination with ancient Babylon and the insane levels of courage displayed by early Christians who faced death by lion and, well, there are probably 7 more obsessions I've been indulging that tie in very well to the story of diligent and daring Daniel.

What are your thoughts on the top 10 Baby names of 2014? (well, there are 20, 10 for each gender)

No comments:

Post a Comment