In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Genealogy Update


Well, I went to the genealogy library for a couple of hours today. This trip wasn't as profitable as other trips have been. Or it didn't feel that way. And I probably won't be going on a Sunday again til April 27th, the last Sunday in April, since Easter precludes any genealogy on the fourth Sunday this month and I will be camping the second weekend in April (which is not the 8th, like I had thought, but the 12th, and yay! looks like my roommate will go with me so I won't be on my own.)

Anyhow, I found information on people I cannot yet connect to our lines and also a couple of families that do connect, but they are not direct ancestors or very closely related. That's why it felt less profitable, I guess. Hopefully next time will be better.

However, I don't think I shared with you what I found on the Foremans last time. I found a ton of information on this Kidwell family that ties into our Foreman line this way: My mother is Linda Lockhart, her father is William James Lockhart, his father was James Harrison Lockhart, his mother was Mary Jane Foreman, her father was John A. Foreman, his father was Amos Foreman, and his father was David Foreman. David also had a son named David who had a son named Austin who married a Joanna Kidwell. So, Austin Foreman (who lived in the 1800s) and I are first cousins, five times removed. A slightly closer relation would be David Foreman, II, who is my fourth great grand uncle. David Foreman, II (who was Austin's father) married Frances Kidwell. Oh wait, am I saying that Austin Foreman married someone with the same last name as his mother? Yes, I am. Austin and Joanna were first cousins. Which wouldn't be so bad if they were the only relations we have who married their first cousin, but they are just a drop in the bucket. The next time you sneeze, you can thank our Virginia roots and the inclination to marry your cousin! Anyway, back on topic. In case you wanted to add these people to your records, the children of Frances and David Foreman, II were: Hiram, Ann, Henry, Ellen, Austin, Mary, David Foreman, III, Jacob, John, Lucinda, and Louisa. I have more information on these people (and of course, the Kidwells), if you are interested.

I've included a family tree that shows the parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents of our Amos Foreman (my 4th great-grandfather). You can click on the image to see a larger version.

2 comments:

  1. Was it common place to marry your cousin in the 1800s?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure that it was commonplace, but it did happen. They talk about it in Gone With the Wind.

    ReplyDelete