In 2014 I featured a series of blog posts introducing you to 2,014 names. For the most part they were names that were brand new to me as well. Some names may be more familiar but I found the meaning or origin or some other aspect of the name made it worthy of inclusion here. You may love some of the names, you may hate some, but hopefully you enjoy learning about all of them.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

How 'bout these names!

GIRLS


Emireth - when I came across this name, on a Spanish language website for parents, I also read about Emileth and Emilet, also used by Spanish-speakers. All three seem to be rather rare.




BOYS


Maelfothartaigh - Irish, I assume,

Coibhdeanach - ditto

Eugenius - Latin?

Maenghal - Irish?

Maelcaularda - ditto

Maelpadraig - ditto

Cathusach - ditto

Ailchi - ditto

Guaire - ditto

Doilghen- ditto

Murtough - Irish, more familiar when spelled Murdoch

Maelbrighde - Irish

Awley - Irish? English???

Gilladowney - Irish?

Mulmurry - Irish?

Florence - Latin, I think. I'd not thought of it ever as a boy's name, but in the Middle Ages I find it used as a man's first name. Now that I think about it, Florent is a boy's name from the Middle Ages, so I don't know why Florence surprises me. But it does.

Giolla - Gaelic, meaning "servant". Giolla is an element of both Scottish and Irish surnames such as Mac Giolla Mhuire (in English this becomes Gilmore).

Turloch - Irish, there are many spellings for this name, it comes from Turlough, which comes from Toirdhealbach meaning "prompting" or "instigator".

No comments:

Post a Comment